Auditions for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons are now closed.
Categories and Requirements
Our repertoire for the next two seasons will include Mozart’s “Don Giovanni,” Bizet’s “Carmen,” Bernstein’s “Candide,” Leoncavallo’s “Pagliacci,” and Gounod’s “Romeo and Juliet.” There are four audition categories with separate audition requirements available for this round of auditions. An accompanist will be provided at no cost, or you may provide your own.
Auditions will be by invitation only.
- Principal Artists
- Experience: Applicants must have recent experience performing leading and/or secondary roles with professional opera companies.
- Requirements: Four arias sung in their original languages, preferably from Wichita Grand Opera’s upcoming opera repertoire.
- Resident Ensemble Artists (local/regional professionals)
- Experience: Applicants must have experience singing with professional opera companies.
- Requirements: Four arias in four different languages from the standard or Wichita Grand Opera’s repertoire.
- Young Aspiring Artists (Opera Academy of the Midwest)
- Experience: Applicants ages 18-34 who have studied and performed opera within their schools or university opera programs, participated in other young artist programs, and have had other performance opportunities.
- Requirements: Four arias in four different languages from the standard operatic repertoire.
- Experience: Applicants are expected to have experience performing with choirs and ensembles, have some vocal training, and possibly some experience with foreign languages.
- Requirements: One aria or art song sung in its original language of English, Italian, German, or French.
Auditions will be by invitation only. To be considered for an invitation, please submit the below via our online application form. To be eligible for consideration, your application must be received no later than 5:00 pm, Thursday, March 22, 2018.
The application form will request:
- Information about you, your expertise and your experience
- Cover Letter (Address letters to Mr. Parvan Bakardiev, Artistic Director)
- Reviews (if applicable)
- Application Processing Fee of $25 paid immediately following your application submission
Auditions will be by invitation only. Applicants who receive an audition invitation will be required to submit a $50 deposit check to Wichita Grand Opera to reserve their audition time slot. The applicant’s check will be returned when checking in at the Registration Table. However, if the applicant fails to appear for their audition, their deposit will be non-refundable.